Fully Funded by Ministry of Education, Govt. of India

शिक्षा मंत्रालय, भारत सरकार द्वारा वित्त पोषित

Horticulture at a Glance



ABV-IIITM Gwalior comprises of a total of 6,05,450 Sq. m. of land. As a result of well planned campus , buildings ,parking places and roads are constructed only on 69,000 Sq.m. of land. This accounts to 11.39% of total area. Remaining approx. 88.6% area is developed green by way of planting trees in a well planned manner.

Gwalior city climate is extreme. Winter is very cold(up to 3 degree C)and summer is very hot(up to 48 degree C). Over to this rain fall is uncertain ( average being 900mm). In such difficult weather it is very difficult to grow different types of plants. In spite of all such odds, Institute has successfully grown approx. 12000 nos of well grown up trees of approx. 112 species. Some of prominent species are Sita Ashok, Shahtoot, Kadamb, Gulmohar, Karanj, Peepal,Amla, Jungle Jalebi, Jamun, Kusum, Olive, Kainth, Bija sal. Mahua, Neem, shisham, Kachnar, Bargad, gular, Pakhar, Amaltas, Sagaun, Baheda, Arjun ,Ber, Putranjiva, tulsi,satavar,ashwagandha, giloy, pathar chata, Hadjodi, etc. Almost all species are possessing medicinal properties useful to human being and purifying environment.

For watering of the plants 5 nos solar powered submersible pumps are installed. 4.5 kilometer long HDPE pipe line with 124 nos stand posts are exclusively for watering of these trees , lawns and nursery.

Plant waste is collected regularly and dumped in pits made only for this purpose. In total there are 8 nos such dumping pits of aggregate capacity of 2,500cu.m. One for non-biodegradable garbage one for building rubbish and remaining for bio-degradable waste. The dumped plant waste is allowed to decompose naturally. Pits which were filled up in 2013 and 2014 has decomposed fully and compost from these pits is being used internally for already planted trees and for new plants at nursery and elsewhere in the campus.

Thus horticulture section of institute is:-

1) Using electricity from renewable energy source ie solar. Thus avoiding air and water pollution caused by generating thermal power.

2) Using no chemical fertilizer. Avoiding soil and water pollution.

3) Using decomposed manure . Avoiding pollution when such garbage is thrown on land.

4) Using piped water distribution for plantation thereby minimizing water wastage.

Thus the horticulture system of campus is non-polluting ,eco friendly, enriching environment and self sustained .




Connect with us

ABV-Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management Gwalior, Morena Link Road, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, India,474015

  • dummy website@iiitm.ac.in
    (only for website related queries)

Search in Website